Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What IS "Glue: A Tribute to the Music of Duran Duran"??

Alrighty, I'm currently creating a little "FAQ", and thought I'd drop it here, first! In case you were wondering...

1. What IS "Glue: A Tribute to the Music of Duran Duran", anyway?

After the ska The Duran Duran Tribute Album was released, a lot of fans were unhappy. They'd waited all this time for a proper tribute album, and it wasn't what anyone was expecting! Discussions started all over the internet, via things called Tiger-list, The Lizard King messageboard, the AOL Duran Duran messageboard, AOL chatroom 7609, the Duran Duran newsgroup, etc.

Since Duran Duran fans are highly creative people, many of which are musicians, it didn't take long for a fan-brewed tribute to start percolating. But then...it dropped.

Being the industrious lass I am, and having just started a record label, I decided to pick it back up!

I decided that since Duran Duran fans are also highly caring and compassionate, this CD should benefit something greater than our ears. The Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network was a good fit.

I received all kinds of submissions by home recording Duranies who were ready to pay tribute in a much more "Duran-like" fashion. By the time of its release in February of 1999, we were already breaking pre-order records at young online distributor CD Baby. Fans had spoken...and they wanted their "Glue"!

It's still the only Duran Duran tribute CD made BY fans, FOR fans, and I couldn't be happier with the success it's had.

2. Why is it called "Glue"??

In an AOL chat in 1996, I asked then-bandmember Warren Cuccurullo what kept Duran Duran together all of these years. His answer? "The music is the glue." Since this CD was all about the music and fans' love of it, I couldn't think of a better word to describe it.

3. Is "Glue" still available for purchase?

It IS, but...it's going fast! A few months back I started cleaning out my inventory, and realized, "Wow--everything left on the shelf is IT!".

Those of you who bought early copies know that I printed the artwork off myself on my home printer - but not anymore, thank goodness! This has always been a fully pressed CD (not a CD-R), and now it has a fully professionally printed booklet to go with it.

Note: if you have an earlier copy with the home-printed book and would like the new artwork, email me at dana@seriousvanity.com and I'll get it out to you, free of charge!

So, if you'd like to get yourself a copy, you have two options:

-You can order it directly from me at http://www.durandurantribute.com (samples and fan reviews are here, too)

or

-You can order it from CD Baby at http://www.cdbaby.com/duran

The price is the same at both, but if you order directly from me, you'll probably get a few surprises in your package!

4. Can I buy mp3's of "Glue" instead?

Unfortunately, "Glue" is not available for sale as downloads. Back when I produced "Glue", the rights I obtained from Duran's 'people' (I love calling them that) allowed only for CDs, and since there won't be any further pressings, the CDs are IT!

Who's the guy that runs the "Glue" MySpace page?

That's Paul, my business partner AND husband. Can you believe that? I married a Duranie! Makes me glad I didn't end up marrying John Taylor like I planned when I was 13 after all.

5. Will there be a "Glue 2"?

Hmmmmmm...... ;)

No comments: